Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Haagen-Dazs Extra Righ Light Caramel Cone

Faced with my strong desire for the sweet taste of ice cream and conscious of my health, I chose Haagen-Dazs Extra Rich Light Caramel Cone Ice Cream recently. By chance, my friend chose Haagen-Dazs Caramel Cone Ice Cream, providing me the opportunity to try the two versions side-by-side.

Unlike the Phoood review of Haagen-Dazs Extra Rich Light Caramel Cone Ice Cream, I found drastic taste and textural differences between the two versions of Haagen-Dazs Caramel Cone Ice cream.


The Haagen-Dazs Extra Rich Light Caramel Cone Ice Cream looked appetizing enough, until compared with the regular version of the same ice cream flavor. In the Extra Rich Light Caramel Cone Ice Cream, the chocolate pieces appeared rampant amidst the caramel ice cream, but upon my first spoonful, the chocolate was just flecked throughout the ice cream. Additionally, the "cone" of this lightened version of ice cream tasted soggy. It was not pleasant to chew on the soggy pieces of ice cream cone. The caramel ice cream didn't taste like it had been churned properly but instead tasted and felt like it was icy.

Made with: skim milk, corn syrup, sugar, chocolaty coated cone pieces, cream, caramel sauce, egg yolks, natural flavor, butter, salt, pectin, baking soda.


Conversely, the Haagen-Dazs Caramel Cone Ice Cream was drastically better than the Haagen-Dazs Extra Rich Light Caramel Cone Ice Cream, visually, texturally, and tastefully. The chocolate in this version of ice cream was in chunks, neither too small like the flecks in the lightened ice cream nor too large to bite with ease. Unlike the lightened ice cream, the "cone" of the regular version was crispy, as if I were chewing pieces of a freshly baked waffle cone. Finally, the caramel ice cream was more dense and creamy than the lightened version, which was thin, as if watered down, and melted quickly in the summer heat.

Made with: cream, skim milk, chocolaty coating with cone pieces, sugar, caramel sauce, sweetened condensed skim milk, corn syrup, egg yolks, butter, natural flavor, salt, pectin, vanilla extract, baking soda.

If you have a craving for ice cream, don't skimp and fall for the tricks of the lightened versions which leave you craving more. You'll be highly satisfied with the real stuff.

3 comments:

Bill said...

I know what you mean regarding the lite version. I accidentally picked up a lite version of Ben n Jerry strawberry and cream and was so so so disappointed it was made with skim milk! I wanted the fat content in the ice cream that's what make it melt rich and smooth and not like ice crystals. Adding egg yolk won't make up for the fat content! FYI - I think BnJ make better ice cream with sugar cone chunks in it. Beside if I wanted to indulge I mind as well go all out ;-)

Afishionado said...

Bill: Haha, all in moderation, right? I also enjoy frozen yogurt very much, so I think that is a nice balance between treating myself to the full fat ice cream once in a while and the frozen yogurt the rest of the time :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVED THE CARAMEL CONE LIGHT!!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO IT?..I PREFERRED THE DARK CHOCOALTE NOT STANDING OUT SO MUCH IN FLAVOR, I FEEL IN LOVE WITH IT THE FIRST TIME I TASTED IT, NO OTHER COMPANIES ARE TRYING TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING SIMILAR, BUT IT DOES NOT COMPARE...I WANT MY CARAMEL CONE LIGHT BACK!!!! ASAP!!!! AND I LIVE IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!