Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Millie's Pancake Haus

While on vacation, I don't feel compelled to wake up early, especially when I know that brunch is a fine excuse for sleeping in late.


Millie's Pancake Haus appropriately shares retail space among quilt shops and antique stores and even the restaurant's exterior lets you know that stepping inside will help you forget that you're in the middle of the desert.


Entering Millie's Pancake Haus is like stepping into grandma's house out in the country, with its lace curtains and wooden chairs. The two dining rooms are furnished in wood, with some high-back booths in the other dining room. The walls are filled with all kinds of antiques and the place mats double as menus, which really lends to the relaxing brunch atmosphere.


Now, I realize that the restaurant's name boasts their pancakes, but unfortunately, I have to be in a particular mood for a sweet breakfast and this was brunch, closer to lunchtime, anyways. My hostess mentioned that Millie's omelets are well made and since I do have a fondness for omelets, I chose the Mushroom, Onion, Spinach, and Swiss omelet. The daintily-folded omelet came with a choice of bread (I chose wheat toast) and home fried potatoes. While this omelet was full of tenderly cooked mushrooms, onions, and spinach, it also made me realize that I prefer omelets made with cheddar cheese. I think that cheddar cheese pairs better with the rich egg and the swiss cheese in this omelet didn't present itself very strongly. I probably wouldn't have noticed there was any cheese in the omelet except for the title. The vegetables were fresh and the eggs were tenderly cooked to a fluffy consistency. The home fries were on the mealy and dry side and the toast was forgettable. I loved the plates that completed the countryside theme.

Millie's Pancake Haus
6530 E. Tanque Verde Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85715
(520) 298-4250

No comments: