Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cajun Kitchen Cafe

Remembering that my brother's girlfriend deemed the Cajun Kitchen Cafe "the best breakfast in town" on her Facebook profile, I wanted to be sure to make a stop there while we were in Santa Barbara for the weekend.


Although the restaurant looks deserted, this photo was taken after we had finished brunch. When we first arrived to the Cajun Kitchen Cafe, there was a mass of people waiting outside on the sidewalk, steps, and sitting on the retaining wall. We walked inside to write our name on the waiting list and then stepped outside with the hope of having brunch within the hour.


Appropriately, there was a small bathtub of Knott's Berry Farm jelly waiting for us at the table.


At every table was a shaker of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning to transform any dish into Creole cuisine.


The reason I subscribe to a pescetarian diet is because of the heart disease that runs in my family and I think this is where I fail as a food blogger. I sometimes choose my health over taste and that is why I requested that my Cajun Veggie three egg omelet be made with only egg whites. This was a mistake on my part because even with the broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese, the omelet lacked the richness of egg yolks that make a succulent omelet. Additionally, the egg whites didn't incorporate the vegetables very well, so it was more of an egg whites scramble with vegetables than an omelet.

On the other hand, the hash browns that came with my omelet were fantastic. The golden brown exterior was crisp, while the interior potatoes were soft and creamy, almost like mashed potatoes.


This was the heavily buttered wheat toast that came with my omelet.


Devin had the St. Charles Breakfast Burrito which we were surprised to find out came with a small side salad of mixed greens. This burrito of sausage, cheddar cheese, eggs, and potatoes, all wrapped in a flour tortilla was on the small side. While Devin enjoyed it, he didn't think it was outstanding and especially not worth the forty-five minute wait.

The Cajun Kitchen Cafe
901 Chapala St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-965-1004

No comments: