Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hummus & Pita

I love hummus. For Christmas, I had a Cuisinart Mini-Prep Processor on my Amazon wishlist, which Devin's father and step mother very kindly bought for me. There was only one thing in mind when I added this food processor to my wishlist: HUMMUS!


Hummus is so ridiculously easy to make and contains so few ingredients that I feel it is outrageous to pay close to $4 for the shallow containers sold at the grocery store. With my wonderfully powerful food processor, I can whip up a batch of Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus in no time! And I can add as many sun dried tomatoes as I want.


Using recipes from All Recipes, on the left is Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus and on the right is Hummus III. I usually halve recipes because I am only feeding myself and Devin, but in my eagerness to make hummus on this day, I enthusiastically opened two cans of garbanzo beans right away when I only needed one. Consequently, I just had to make two batches of delicious hummus. I haven't been able to get the consistency correct yet and may need to peel the skins off of the garbanzo beans next time to make a more smooth hummus.


What goes better with hummus than pita bread? Maybe falafel, but I actually prefer tzatziki sauce with my falafel. In any case, I made pita bread to accompany all the hummus I made. Unfortunately, I really fail at making breads, so my Peppy's Pita Bread from All Recipes did not puff up and had a texture closer to naan than pita bread. Although my yeast was not expired, I don't think I had the water at the correct temperature to active the yeast.


Trial and error. That's what this blog is all about.

No comments: